By: Kelly Guzman
This year was undoubtedly one for the books! The “Year of the Nurse” marked the 200th anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth. I do not believe anyone could have anticipated a more pivotal moment to shine a light on our healthcare heroes’ incredible work. The COVID-19 crisis has brought the world’s attention to our healthcare facilities and the need to equip them to provide the much-needed care our communities require. On behalf of our entire team, I wish to thank all the front-line, essential workers who have risked their lives for us.
Reflecting on the goals we began the year with and where we landed, I have to admit that we couldn’t have been more off-base. Brene Brown has taught us that when things don’t go our way, we have to reconcile with the emotional reaction we feel before devising a plan to fix it. Rumbling with our discomforts over the way the year unfolded has been challenging and has required a great deal of patience. Through it all, we have remained resilient and held to our values. Going back to the drawing board, we rallied to adjust our goals, and as the year comes to an end, it’s rewarding to reflect on our ability to adapt and change.
Acceptance, perseverance, and flexibility have become requirements of our daily lives. Our team has settled into pandemic life and adopted new rituals. These include being camera-ready in the morning for our daily huddle, virtual workouts, game day Thursday, and the most horrid “Happy Birthday” renditions ever. Although our plans changed, we have continued to work on new projects and adjust our existing approach to a virtual world. We have developed best practices, new tools, and focused on self-development with new certifications and learning goals.
Our 2020 accomplishments include:
- Published our first book “Simplifying the Complex A Guide to Transition and Activation Planning for Healthcare Construction Projects”
- Wrote our second book, scheduled for release in August of 2021
- Conducted our first virtual:
- Project Kick-off
- Workflow planning sessions
- Tabletop Exercise
- Round Robin
- Dress Rehearsal events
- Developed new tools for our Change Management and Fit-up programs
- Promoted professional development among our team members, with the accomplishment of the following certifications:
- 2 Project Management Professional (PMP) certifications
- 2 Evidence-Based Design Accreditation and Certifications (EDAC)
- 1 Change Management Professional certification
- 3 Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certifications
- 1 Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification
As we prepare for 2021, our team is taking time to pause and embrace the gratitude we have for the many blessings that 2020 brought us. This year has provided an opportunity to reflect on what is important to us and get back to the basic core values that have shaped who we are.
Some of the things we have most appreciated during this time have included:
- Time with our families
- The kindness of our neighbors and community who rallied to help each other
- Our fellow team members who had picked up an assignment when one of us was having an ‘off’ day
- All our friends who have reached out to ensure we are “hanging in there.”
“No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.” – Alfred North Whitehead
Now, more than ever, practicing gratitude every day has become an essential part of our lives and ongoing mental health. Every day I remind myself that I am grateful for my family, friends, team, health, a safe place to live, and life! I want to thank my incredible team and their families for the patience and persistence that keeps us going. We thank all of our client partners who have been patient and flexible and worked with us to provide remote support and new ways to approach our work. The future looks bright, and I am looking forward to the new opportunities 2021 will bring. My wish is for everyone to experience more kindness and compassion every day.
I send blessings and wishes of hope, good health, and a safe 2021.
Click to download the YB Holiday Cookbook 2020